What is Interstitial Cystitis?

What is Interstitial Cystitis?


Interstitial Cystitis is the worst bladder infection you've ever had, except no bacteria is present, there is no cure, many foods make it worse, and separate treatments have maybe 1/3 of a chance of helping. The only true "treatment" is treating the pain, as its usually the only thing that will work. Even patients who've had their bladders removed still experience the pain. Doctors don't know what causes it or how to get rid of it but have many theories.



Need to find a doctor in your area who actually knows how to deal with IC humanely? Click here.

These are the new guidelines for diagnosing IC. If your doctor isn't using these then I suggest you find a new one who keeps up to date.

You can find the IC safe collaborated recipes between me and my step dad here.

Friday, January 20, 2012

I want to eat this for nutrition, but all these good vitamins might hurt me

There are two vitamins ICers fear the most -- Potassium and Vitamin C. It makes us hurt a lot. In fact, the old medieval torture method of diagnosis done about 5 years ago was to force potassium into the bladder. If you screamed, you had IC. I'd scream regardless due to the catheter, and such is why I held off my diagnosis until last year when the guidelines changed.

Anyway, I bought some wheat germ. All natural, no preservatives. It's meant to be added to food, but I like the taste so use it as cereal, but then I noticed it say that it contains more potassium per ounce than any fruit. Now I'm too afraid to eat it.


On a minor, unrelated note I found out a little about my Dad's side of the family. We don't talk much. We don't mesh too well. Evidently they're somehow related to John Wilkes Booth (the guy that killed Abraham Lincoln; which is funny since I've been dating a black guy for the past 8 years), and some murderer is my second cousin. Uh.. yeah.

As for where they came from, my Pawpaw was Cajun and "hillbilly", the family has no idea where the "Goodwins" actually come from and there's only 4 of us left including me. My Mawmaw was Cajun and Irish. My Mawmaw's side keeps a nice family tree going and its fun to look at. They fought for the Confederates.

There's no mention of IC from them except that my Mawmaw had a lot of bladder problems, but this is also a lady who drank 2 pots of coffee a day. My grandmother on my mom's side was diagnosed with IC, leading me to believe it skips a generation. Past that? I don't know how many ancestors had IC. And when you consider there's a 10% chance or something that your not really related to who you think you are due to adultery and all that.. going back further may not help the research into IC as a genetic disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage open discussion. There is a lot for us to learn from each other.