What is Interstitial Cystitis?

What is Interstitial Cystitis?


Interstitial Cystitis is the worst bladder infection you've ever had, except no bacteria is present, there is no cure, many foods make it worse, and separate treatments have maybe 1/3 of a chance of helping. The only true "treatment" is treating the pain, as its usually the only thing that will work. Even patients who've had their bladders removed still experience the pain. Doctors don't know what causes it or how to get rid of it but have many theories.



Need to find a doctor in your area who actually knows how to deal with IC humanely? Click here.

These are the new guidelines for diagnosing IC. If your doctor isn't using these then I suggest you find a new one who keeps up to date.

You can find the IC safe collaborated recipes between me and my step dad here.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I got an article published on the lovely blog of Dr. Joel Sherman on patient privacy

I've followed Dr. Sherman's blog for years, lurking. It's on a topic very close to me: medical ethics and privacy/patient concerns that aren't met. Just travel to the ICN which I have linked on my side bar and you can read the horror stories posted weekly by uninformed patients who have had doctors talk them into terrible things with minimal pain relief.

This is why this blog is here. To advocate. To help you research what you need, to fight back, and if need be, jump ship to another doctor who fits you better.

Dr. Sherman's blog is also linked on my side bar. The comments left under his posts are enough to make a book out of, and most relates to horror stories from patients of other disorders or those just trying to have a proper physical done.. and even those who are just trying to get hormonal birth control pills without being violated by an invasive test they feel is unnecessary. And yes, in most cases it is unnecessary, especially in the cases of virgins since the cancer is caused by a STD.

The link to the article is here.


-----------


As for my personal IC updates last night was a terrible one. The temperature kept dropping and my bladder was burning with nothing inside. Nocturia is when a patient can't sleep through the night because of the need to constantly urinate. Usually this comes with older people who have IC and frequency issues whereas my symptoms are pain and urgency related. Well, I woke up quite early in severe pain and stumble to the bathroom. After voiding I felt much better and slept until 3 P.M. I woke up feeling okay. I'm afraid to visit the bathroom again because for me my symptoms chance with every bathroom use.

2 comments:

  1. Holly,

    Thank you for posting an excellent article on Dr. Sherman's blog about pediatric modesty. You brought up a lot of wonderful information about pediatric modesty. It was sad to read about what you had to endure as a child. This proves that parents need to be educated about children's wishes for modesty in medical settings.

    I would love for you to contribute some ideas about how we can educate parents about this topic.

    We have started a non-profit organization, Medical Patient Modesty that advocates for stronger patient modesty. One of our goals is to educate people about patient modesty. Can you please send us an email?

    Thanks,
    Medical Patient Modesty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I would be very happy to take part in your organization. I've already written up a reply that has been sent via email, but you bring up a very good point on how to raise awareness of pediatric modesty to parents which I failed to think about. I feel the issue deserves its own post.

    ReplyDelete

I encourage open discussion. There is a lot for us to learn from each other.